Skip to main content

Flipping the Classroom On it's Head or Off with My Own

Image Not Mine
Be careful that first step is a doozey!

 Have you ever felt like you have fallen down a rabbit hole? You followed the White Rabbit down and now you are falling, falling, falling...

Once you reach level ground, it's not quite what you expected. It's different...odd...challenging. Eventually you start to feel more comfortable. Not at home, mind you, but comfortable. It's not as scary as you initially thought. And then you meet the Red Queen and she's shouting, "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!"

That's how I feel about technology. I fell down into this rabbit hole of Web 2.0, social media, blogs, Twitter feeds, and digital citizenship. I am starting to get my bearings and become more confident in my own netizenship. And then the Flipped Classroom appears out of left field with it's own demands, "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD" and your free-time!

For those of you new to the flipped classroom, it is best explained by one of my favorite educational videos! (I've been waiting to share this one!)



As John Graney states, "The flipped classroom challenges learners to take control of their learning." However in order for that to happen, you as the teacher have a lot of work to do. Unfortunately that work is going to happen behind the scenes. One of my favorite teaching mentors once told me that a teacher's work happens before the student even enters the room, once they are in the room it is their time to do the work, the teacher is only the facilitator. If you have done your part well and thought of the obstacles and trouble spots, the student should be able to complete the task at hand. The flipped classroom is a lot like that. It's a lot of work upfront but the rewards are numerous.

Helaine Marshall lists three reasons to flip your classroom: Interaction, Critical Thinking, and Comprehension. Now I don't know about you but for me those are the three things I consider the most when thinking about student achievement and student engagement. I want my students to have multiple opportunities to produce language in the classroom (interaction). I want them to be thinking (critical thinking) and not just surface level, I want them to go deep. Finally, I want my students to understand English, the content, the culture, and of course the language (comprehension). The flipped classroom is just another way to meet students needs.

So while it may seem scary, new things often are, the flipped classroom is a unique and student centered way of approaching an old idea: education.
Keep Your Wits About You!

Comments

  1. I like the reference to Groundhog Day. I can't put a link in here so enjoy this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrYe-ezyegY

    It can all feel like a rabbit hole but you're right, flipped classrooms can help to stop the free-fall sometimes when used properly and judiciously.

    Also love the references to Alice in Wonderland. Fun fact: The father of Alice Liddell was the editor of the Liddell & Scott English-Greek Lexicon that is still in use today by Latin and Greek nerds like me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Blogs in the Classroom to Meet Learning Standards

Mod 2: Joining the Blogosphere It has been more than three years since I taught under the Common Core. Syncing back up has been a concern of mine as I rejoin the NYS K-12 TESOL gig. Not only am I jumping back into the Common Core, I am also jumping into early elementary, something I've not done full time before. Kindergarten and first grade are a bit intimidating but I am looking forward to the challenge. One of the things I have always wanted to do with young learners is to blog and Tweet. Blogging has many benefits. In my opinion, having younger students blog gives them ownership over their learning, something they may not generally have at their level when so much is decided for them. Mrs.Davison is a Kindergarten teacher who is blogging and tweeting with her class. She has some neat ideas about how to use blogs in the classroom. She uses part of her blog to track where visitors are signing on from and has met curriculum goals like geography with her blog. Integrating an

Mod 3: An Overabundance of Chalboards: Where are the netizens?

Coming back to teaching in the States has been in some ways very relieving. Youtube isn't blocked. I can access my g-mail. Internet speeds are fast. And I am no longer covered in chalk. If you take a look at the picture you will notice lots of things, but I want to focus on the large green monstrosity in the center of the image. China has one of the largest populations on the planet. It also has some of the most cell phone dependent people I have met in my life. Not a day went by where I didn't witness someone run into something or someone, trip, or fall because of their focus and dedication to whatever was happening on their phone. So how come a country with billions of people and a culture full of dedicated cell phone users has no technology in their classrooms? Now that isn't true of every school or every classroom. The universities I taught in had projectors and occasionally internet access. Training schools are also well equipped. For the most part, however, most o

Podcasting auf Deutsch

Hallo! Heute werde ich über Podcasting schreiben. This week I explored Podcasting and it's benefits and uses in the classroom. Podcasts are simply a series of episodes that you can stream or download. More often than not they are audio files but occasionally there are videos or documents to accompany the audio. Podcasts are commonly subscribed to and listed to on a weekly basis. Podcasts are a part of my daily life. As a commuter I spend three hours of my day in my car. Podcasts help the time go bye quickly and also help me stay up-to-date on what's going on in the world. Some of the podcasts I subscribe to are: Pop Culture Happy Hour , TEDTalks Education , Unqualified , and the one we will be discussing today: Coffee Break German . One of the harder parts of learning German is the grammar as it differs greatly from English. Verb placement and verb conjugation tend to be extremely difficult. Haben and sein , the verbs for to have and to be are particularly challeng